Have you begun to evaluate your plan to ramp up imaging Clinical Decision Support (iCDS)?
Today your organization can leverage the use of iCDS to improve your MIPS scores as much as 7.5 percent, as one of the two heavily weighed improvement activities. Late in 2018 you can begin testing your radiology advanced imaging claims with CMS to prepare your organization for 2020. That is when CMS will start requiring the documented use of iCDS for Medicare ambulatory advanced imaging claims for reimbursement.
Community hospitals and imaging centers need to be planning for iCDS now. This is to ensure that imaging service providers and professional radiologist and cardiologist are not penalized with non-payment of advanced imaging when ordering providers are not using iCDS within the care process.
When integrated within the current workflow of ordering providers, the use of iCDS will capture the results of the iCDS consult with just a few clicks, allowing the evidenced based Appropriate Use Criteria (AUC) to improve the MD -MD communication of the desired procedure. The data captured during the consult provides the data needed to measure the appropriateness of the imaging procedures, utilization of unnecessary imaging for improving the work flow, and productivity of the services providers -- reducing imaging cost and improving outcomes for the patients. Along with the educating of the ordering provider, the implementing of iCDS provides value to all stake holders in the care process.
Here are some issues to consider as you prepare for effective iCDS implementation:1
- This is NOT just an information technology project, it is a clinical project that will involve many disciplines
- The evidence supporting the recommendation, i.e. References, and their strengths must be transparent during the consult at point of order
- Sources of the Evidence-base AUC must be diverse
- Evidence-base AUC must be kept current
- Recommendations need to brief, actionable, and unambiguous – single recommendation
- Respects the ordering provider and the workflow allowing easy acceptance of original order when appropriate
- Measure the use of and establish consequences for ignoring the recommendations to enhance the educational value
- Establish initiatives with well-defined goals for clinical performance improvements
- Use and enable the data for measuring the impact
- In addition to meeting the forthcoming regulations, iCDS should be positioned to improve efficiencies and outcomes for patients, providers and payers
As you consider your plans for iCDS, the earlier you formulate that plan and begin execution, the greater your ROI of the implementation will be. Check out RadWise and follow our blog to learn more about how to plan your implementation of imaging clinical decision support.